Frequently Asked Questions
1. When was the school established?
Regents School of Austin opened its doors August 31, 1992. The founders' goals were to establish a school committed to academic and spiritual excellence, to instill in students a love for learning and to provide an orderly, nurturing atmosphere in which these ideals can be achieved. In time those goals have been incorporated into our mission as a classical and Christ-centered school for students of grades kindergarten through twelve. See our visual timeline.
2. What do you mean by classical?
- It follows the methodology of the Trivium, seeking to identify appropriate analogies of grammar, dialectic and rhetoric in all subjects and to teach all subjects in a manner consistent with the appropriate stage of development of the child.
- It understands the term "classical education" in the context of the classical search for wisdom and virtue through the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty.
- It emphasizes and seeks to preserve and pass to successive generations the richness of our Western cultural heritage.
What do you mean by Christian?
- All knowledge is made complete only when seen and understood in relation to the eternal glory and purposes of the triune God.
- Each aspect of our educational endeavor is founded upon and informed by a thoroughly biblical worldview.
- All subjects are taught as part of a unified, integrated whole that demonstrates God's character and glory as revealed through creation, providence and Scripture.
Education is inherently value-laden. A classical, Christian education is essentially a Christian liberal arts education - an education for Christians that prepares them to be free Christian men and women for service in God's kingdom. Therefore, we seek to offer an education that: 1) is both rich and challenging for the academically gifted students and at the same time accessible to those students God has gifted with "average" academic ability; 2) recognizes that all truth, goodness, and beauty consist in and proceed from the holiness and eternal majesty of God and are divine absolutes. We reject any subjective relativism that the secular world may assign to any of these; and 3) is designed to develop Biblical wisdom and Christian virtue by equipping students to know, love and practice that which is true, good, and beautiful.
Who is the accrediting organization?
Regents School of Austin is accredited by the Association of Classical and Christian Schools (ACCS). ACCS is a member of Texas Private School Association Commission (TEPSAC). TEPSAC ensures quality in private schools by monitoring and approving organizations that accredit the various non-public elementary and secondary educational institutions in the state of Texas. TEPSAC, by a formal relationship with the State Commissioner of Education of Texas, annually reviews all accrediting agencies for quality. In addition to quality reviews, TEPSAC allows for the transferability of high school student credits earned in accredited non-public schools to Texas public schools. Regents is an active member of TEPSAC. Rod Gilbert, our Head of School, serves as a TEPSAC commissioner.
WHAT IS YOUR CLASS SIZE?
Kindergarten through fourth grade classes have 12-16 students in each class. We have 5 classes in each grade level K-fourth. Our 5th through 12th grade rotating class schedule aims for 16 students in any one class but can vary from 12 - 20 students in a particular section.
How large is your student body?
We currently have over 1032 students enrolled.